The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Mammals

You say you went on holiday to Italy and spent all your time in the natural history museum drawing stuffed animals? There's something wrong with this picture. But I'm lost every time I enter La Specola, remembering late nights waiting for my dad to finish up in the lab, pulling out the hundreds of mothball scented specimen drawers to reveal birdskins, bones.

This museum too is part of the department of biology, low rooms filled with stolid wood and glass cases that enclose a provocative collection of mounted species. I remember immediately a pack of cards featuring 180 mammals, which my brothers and I incessantly flashed in each other's faces. Most of our old friends are seen here, dik-dik to jereboa, mole to platypus.

Here are a few of the sketches I did, some in the museum, some later from forbidden photos. It's a style I also learned from my dad, who showed me how to draw animals like this when I was only 4 or 5. Certain meditations on the taxidermist/artist's need to suggest life in its absolute absence echo through this museum, also in the famous wax anatomical figures in the adjoining room.

Little cat, little dog

Hyena


Monkey


A hedgehog and a tasmanian devil


Grebe


Gazelle


Desert dog


Civet


Rat


Mouse


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Steve,
Now I don't feel quite as disappointed about missing the Specola, because your wonderful animal sketches made up for it! Also loved the stories.
Thanks for sharing them; enjoyed meeting you and Vickie.
My animals are at www.desertdada.com.
Carolyn Schmitz

Anonymous said...

These drawings are great, Steve! Thanks for posting them. I love this museum too. It's too bad they didn't have all their aquariums set up when we went. They had just received a huge shipment of fish and were in the process of introducing them into their new tanks.

The garden behind the building was very cool too with two, small ponds with frogs! I got pics of th pond but not the frogs. Very elusive critters.

Thanks again for posting your wonderful drawings.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

It's intriguing how sometimes the smallest comment from a parent can change the course of a life. In your case, of course, you seem to have had a lovely and long-lasting connection to mystery through your father.

Blog Archive