The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Thursday, July 26, 2007

Entering Emeryville (los ladrones)

Wednesday night I stayed late in Berkeley talking about Love in the Time of Cholera and then walked home to Emeryville from the MacArthur BART station around 11 pm. Ten blocks through the hood. I'm not particularly nervous about it but found that I was cautioning myself to be alert--"para los ladrones," as I put it mentally. Ahead a light that partially illuminated the sidewalk blinked off, bushes and buildings suddenly sinister. But it was nothing. I passed solitary across MLK Boulevard and down a neighborhood street. And then they were there, stepping out of the shadows, crossing the street to block my way.

(Click image to enlarge)

No comments:

Blog Archive