The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Friday, August 18, 2006

Mientras me despierto

Last week I was reading the paper version of the NY Times and did a double-take:


Julio Galán, 46, Mexican Painter of a Personal, Dreamlike World, Dies

(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/08/15/arts/15galan.html?_r=2&oref=slogin&oref=slogin)

Julio, no te conocimos, pero en la veintinueve de Julio te conocimos para la primera vez. Quando yo lo veia esta pintura y esta noticia yo supo que una connecion ha establido. Lo siento, Julio.

We never knew Julio Galán, but on the 29th of July we knew him for the first time. When I saw this painting and this headline, I felt that a connection had been established.

Porque en eso dia Vickie y yo estabamos de pie enfrente la misma pintura en el museo de arte de Beijing, luchando traducir el titulo, "Mientras me despierto." Que irónico! Que triste! En el otro continente el pintor joven ha empezado morir.

Because on that day Vickie and I stood before the same painting in the Beijing Museum of Art struggling to translate the title, "As I awake" How ironic and how sad! In the other continent the young painter had begun to die.


No comments:

Blog Archive