The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Monday, December 27, 2010

Coincidences? or Conspiracies?

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/27/us/27gulfport.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=soviet-era%20vehicles&st=cse

Yes! It was just before x-mas in the late 90's, I was weirdly attending the Engine Oil Analysis conference at the Naval Air Station in Pensacola, decided to jam up to Mobile in the rental car to see what Alabama was like. I had lunch in a Burger King that seemed to be a touchstone in the mossy reality, picked up the newspaper to read headline coverage of the invasion, based on these very vehicles, which had been tracked through the switches to their Gulfport destination by interested parties. It was unclear from whence the drivers for the column would come, possibly bussed in by the UN (I'm making that up). The paper DID print the official line, that these were "surplus" military vehicles on their way to a scrapyard.

I decided to go back to Florida and look for the Ivory-billed woodpecker...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory-billed_Woodpecker



No comments:

Blog Archive