The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Thursday, August 26, 2010

Global Blowing

Oh, I thought I had got out of the server business, but there I was again, sitting in a small room filled with stacks of buzzing computers and no A/C! Lots and lots of them, these things are weird-looking, 1 rackunit each, 1.75 inches tall, about 2 x 3 feet square, sheathed in shiny metal, all chugging along eating electricity and pooping out hot air. My view of them is more proper
ly from the inside--tons of colored terminal windows open at once from which I shift endlessly from one to another, issuing commands and viewing responses, endlessly logging in from one to the other.

I had to call the A/C guys on Friday afternoon, they charged the system and the domain name service dragged itself out of the chaos of entropy and began to resolve names again, things began to work, naturally as soon as I congratulated myself they then failed in a big way, over the weekend! Sitting around yesterday once again while Zachary replaced the thingamajig on the roof. Now all copacetic again.

All this preventing me from getting the actual work done I need to do, with tension-filled meeting with new boss coming up in a couple of days. This should get me out of the vacation mode...

No comments:

Blog Archive