The blog version of Give Blood Magazine, est. 1972

Is it me, or is it my vision?

My photo
My first memory is of losing my glasses. Had they not been found, folded carefully on the top edge of the sea wall, where would we be today?

Monday, October 22, 2007

My beautiful Porch

Man’s sitting in his front room watching the playoff game on TV when the doorbell rings. “Jesus Christ, every goddamn time.” But he gets up and opens the door anyway. A guy is standing there that looks and smells like he hasn’t had a bath for a couple weeks.

“Hey, mister, I hate to ask you this, but you know, I’m really down on my luck, haven’t had a bite to eat since the day before yesterday, I wonder if you can spare a little change to help a guy out.”

“Sorry, I don’t believe in charity. Go on downtown to the St. Vincent DePaul mission, they’ll take care of you.”

“Oh, hey, please, mister, maybe I can do something around here to earn it.”

“Yeah, Okay, I guess if you put it that way. Look, here’s a gallon of green paint and a brush. I want you to go around back and paint the porch. I’ll give you $20 for the job. Sound good?”

“Oh, yeah, mister, thanks, thanks a lot. I won’t forget this.” The guy takes the paint and brush and heads around the back of the house. The homeowner goes back inside, pleased with himself. The Indians are just about to wrap up the ALCS against the Red Sox. He really wasn’t looking forward to repainting those back steps.

It’s like the fifth inning and Lofton’s on third with the tying run when the doorbell rings again. The guy’s standing there, a big smile on his face. “All done, Mister!” he proclaims.

“Wow, that was quick,” the man says, getting out his wallet and pulling out the $20. “Did you have any paint left?”

“Just a little bit,” the guy says. “I cleaned up the brushes and put the paint can by the side of the garage. Listen, mister, I really want to thank you for this. God Bless You, sir. You’re a lifesaver!”

Man’s a little embarrassed now, hands the guy his money. “Here’s an extra $10 for doing that so quickly. My wife will be thrilled when she sees the new paint job.”

“You bet. I’m glad I was able to help out. Feels good to do an honest day’s work instead of just taking a handout. I really appreciate you giving me the opportunity.” The guy turns and heads for the front gate. “Oh, by the way,” he says, stopping and looking back,

“That’s not a Porsche, that’s a Ferrari…”


(Thanks and a tip of the hat to Dennis Smith, who first told me this joke around 1985. It still cracks me up.)

No comments:

Blog Archive